Saturday, April 25, 2015

BAJA! Here we come!

In 2012, Randy retired from twenty-five years in ministry in order to pursue his other loves for a time -- woodworking and wooden boats.  With God's amazing grace, he's been blessed in the most extraordinary way, connecting with the Pacific Catalyst adventure cruise business and crewing aboard their gorgeous antique vessel, the M/VCatalyst, in southeast Alaska. This winter (Jan-March) we had the wildest, most incredible adventure and opportunity to work aboard their second ship, the M/V Westward, cruising in the Sea of Cortez, Baja, Mexico.  [see http://www.pacificcatalyst.com/ ]
The following entries were written from the notes I (Carie) scribbled down during the six amazing weeks I was aboard as crew, serving guests on their 10-day trips of discovery and exploration!  Some of the entries are actually smooshed together from the experiences of different weeks, so that I can try to describe all the wonderful spots we visited without repeating, or trying to write all 40 days!!

DAY ONE
[Feb. 2, 2015]

Disorienting, official arrival in Mexico, after 3-mile long maze line through customs (OK, maybe slightly exaggerated…) at La Aeropuerto San Jose del Cabo, Baja California Sur.  Wow, it was so GOOD to see Randy and chef Tracie waiting for me just outside the door, backlit by the Mexican sunshine  :)  

I've missed him - he's been in Baja for a month already, while I've been keeping the fires going at home (well, figuratively anyway - we switched from wood to propane in our stoves this winter!)

Next, a bumpy 3-hour van ride through the mountainy Sonoran desert of the southern tip of Baja peninsula, finally arriving at the marina in La Paz weary and bleary.  It has been a long travel day.  I was sure happy to see and greet dear old friends aboard the M/V Westward, and enjoy the short walk as we all (Randy, me, Tracie and Captain Bill) traipsed into town at twilight for some two-for-one margaritas and tasty pescado frito at the local joint called Cayuga’s.  At first I ordered ‘pescadero’, trying to negotiate my way through the menu, but Tony, our waiter, was most polite and kindly let me know that I might prefer fried fish to fried fisherman :]    Tracie order the pescado entero, and was presented a crisply fried entire fresh snapper, enjoying every succulent bite including the eyeballs.  Mine was just the fillet, thanks. I think Randy and Bill had rellenos with smoked marlin.  I'm sure we all licked our fingers.

To get you oriented, here is where we are: 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment